When you're towing a trailer or a caravan, your car has less acceleration, and takes longer to stop.
- Keep a bigger distance than normal from the car in front. Give yourself plenty of space to stop, in case you need to brake quickly.
- If you have to overtake, make sure you've got enough space. It could take much longer than normal.
- Avoid sudden lane changes, and try not to swerve. Your trailer could start to sway, and you could lose control. If this happens, stay on a steady speed until you regain control. Don’t apply your brakes unless you have to.
- Strong winds can cause big loads, like caravans, to sway. If conditions are bad, pull over and take a break.
- If there are lots of cars behind you, pull over and let them pass.
- Towing can be very tiring. Share the driving if possible and take plenty of rest breaks.