Regency Road to Pym Street
Regency Road to Pym Street upgrade
The Australian and South Australian Governments have jointly committed $354m to construct the project as part of their overall commitment to build a non-stop North-South Corridor.
The project includes the design and construction of a new 1.8 kilometre section of non-stop motorway along South Road, as part of Adelaide’s North-South Corridor initiative.
The new Regency Road to Pym Street motorway will connect the completed motorway sections to the north of Regency Road (South Road Superway) to the completed motorways section (Torrens Road to River Torrens Project) terminating north of Torrens Road. This will result in a 47 kilometre non-stop motorway between Gawler and the River Torrens, and continues to deliver on the Australian and South Australian Governments’ commitment to complete the North-South Corridor.
The project comprises an at-grade motorway from the existing motorway infrastructure to the north (South Road Superway); an overpass of the motorway over Regency Road; and an at-grade motorway from Regency Road to Pym Street, transitioning to the lowered motorway infrastructure (Torrens Road to River Torrens Project). The concept design includes:
- A 1.8 kilometre section of non-stop roadway, providing three lanes in each direction (at-grade).
- Two lanes in each direction on the South Road surface road, providing access to the surrounding community and local businesses.
- An overpass over Regency Road (three lanes in each direction). Two lanes in each direction (at-grade) on the surface roads underneath.
- Left in and left out only access at Pym Street.
- Full access to and from the non-stop motorway at Regency Road.
- Intersection upgrade at Regency Road.
- Improved cycling and pedestrian facilities.
- A grade separated pedestrian and cycle overpass over South Road in the vicinity of Pym Street.
- Landscaping and noise barriers.
The project once complete will deliver travel time savings of up to 8 minutes during peak periods (or 4.5 minutes on average) on South Road between Regency Road and Pym Street.
An artist impression of the project is below.
Works to date/future activities
The Australian and South Australian Governments have announced the two shortlisted companies/consortia for the major works contract on the $354 million Regency Road to Pym Street Project.
The two shortlisted consortia are:
- McConnell Dowell Constructors Pty Ltd, Mott MacDonald Australia Pty Ltd, ARUP Group Pty Ltd; and
- CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and GHD Pty Ltd.
The next part of the process will be the Request for Proposal (RFP) phase which will see the two shortlisted consortia engaged in competitive design and pricing over the next 13 weeks.
Works currently underway include site investigations, utility service design and relocations, property acquisition, and stakeholder engagement.
Future activities include:
- Two shortlisted tenderers invited to submit an offer on the project as part of the next stage of the procurement.
- The main works contract is expected to be awarded early in the third quarter of 2019.
- Main works are expected to commence in late 2019, with project completion expected in 2022.
The project team has commenced engagement with businesses and business owners forming a primary point of contact and to obtain information specific to the business. This information will assist with construction scheduling and is in line with the government’s recently announced Small Business Engagement framework.
Phone 1300 915 702 if you have an enquiry of our project team or email us at DPTI.firstname.lastname@example.org