• font

Hazard Perception Test (HPT)


You have to pass the Hazard Perception Test to move from a learner's permit to a P1 provisional licence.

  • You can do the test at any Customer Service Centre. You must book first by calling 13 10 84. When you book you must give your learner’s permit number.
  • You must pay a fee every time you take the test. You can pay the fee by credit card when you book, or by cash, debit or credit card if you visit a Customer Service Centre.
  • You do the test on a computer, but you don’t need computer skills.
  • The test checks your ability to deal with risky driving situations.
  • You'll look at film clips of real traffic situations. You'll be asked to show what you would do in these situations.
  • You can practise the test here on the My Licence website.
  • If you fail the test you can take it again straight away if a spot is available.
  • If you live more than 100km from a Customer Service Centre, and you're handling your licence application through a Rural Service Agent, you don't have to sit and pass the Hazard Perception Test.
  • If you don't speak English, an interpreter will be provided by your Customer Service Centre when you take the Hazard Perception Test. When you book your test, let the Centre know you'll need an interpreter.