Northern Connector Project
The $885 million Northern Connector will be a six-lane, 15.5 kilometre motorway providing a vital freight and commuter link between the Northern Expressway, South Road Superway and Port River Expressway.
This project will focus on delivering economic benefits to the local South Australian community including creating 480 full-time equivalent jobs each year during construction.
- At least 50% of all jobs to be filled by northern suburbs residents.
- At least 90% of on-site labour hours to be undertaken by South Australians.
- At least 20% of all on-site labour hours to be undertaken by ex-automotive industry workers, Aboriginal people, people facing barriers to employment and trainees and apprentices.
The Australian Government has committed $708 million to the project, with $177 million from the South Australian Government.
The motorway is scheduled to be open to traffic in early March 2020.
A Community Day is being held in February ahead of the motorway opening to traffic to give the community the opportunity to see the new road up close and thank them for their patience.
Community Open Day
Join us at a community open day for the Northern Connector Project.
Sunday, 16 February from 11am to 3pm
The Northern Connector is a new six lane, 15.5 kilometre non-stop motorway, connecting the Northern Expressway, Port Wakefield Road, Salisbury Highway, South Road Superway and the Port River Expressway. Local businesses and over 600 South Australians have contributed to the construction of South Australia’s first major concrete road.
- Bus tours on South Australia’s first major concrete road
- A chance to walk along a small section of the concrete motorway
- A free sausage sizzle
- Refreshments available for purchase, with proceeds going to local charities
- Free children’s activities
- Construction equipment on display
- NorthHub (main site compound)
- 1277-1291 Port Wakefield Road
- Waterloo Corner SA 5110
- Parking available on site at NorthHub
Port Wakefield Road and Northern Expressway - closures and detours
From 8pm Sunday 16 February the Northern Expressway on-ramp from Port Wakefield Road (Northbound) will be closed and not reinstated. Access will be maintained via detours (Click here for more information)
Night works will be undertaken on Port Wakefield Road (southbound only) for the final stages of the Northern Interchange. The works will be undertaken from Sunday 16 February, until Friday 21 February, with detours in place. (Click here for more information)
Port Wakefield and Hodgson Roads junction - new traffic lights
From 5am, Friday 14 February, new traffic lights with new line markings will be operational at the junction of Port Wakefield and Hodgson Roads to provide safe access from the Northern Connector.
South Road Superway closures and detours - night works
From Monday 17 February, to Friday 21 February, night works will be undertaken on the South Road Superway in separate stages as part of the final works for the Southern Interchange.
There will be seperate closures and detours each night (click here for more information)
A dedicated ‘Employment Development Team’ has been established to work closely with the Northern Connector Jobs Taskforce to maximise opportunities for local workers.
Please visit www.northhub.sa.gov.au for more information.