Thomas Foods International access project, Murray Bridge
About the project
Thomas Foods International (TFI) has announced its commitment to construct a new state-of-the-art meat processing facility to be located six kilometres north of Murray Bridge on Mannum Road.
The Australian and South Australian governments have announced their commitment of $14 million (split 50:50) to the planning, design and construction of the supporting public roadworks for this major private investment.
The new meat processing facility will employ up to 2,000 staff and will use higher productivity freight vehicles to serve the site’s transport requirements.
An initial investigation into the provision of safe access for staff and high productivity vehicles between the new site and the surrounding road network identified the need for a new junction and associated link road (approximately 2.2 kilometre length) to provide a safe connection to Mannum Road. No land acquisition for the new road is expected to be required as it will be located on existing land already owned by TFI or Council (road reserve). However there are expected to be some impacts to existing road reserve vegetation which will be offset as required by the decision of the approving authority.
The primary objectives of this project are:
- to support the major investment in new infrastructure by TFI that will improve local economic conditions within a South Australian regional town, leading to greater employment opportunities
- to provide safe access for the 2,000 staff vehicles and higher productivity freight vehicles to the new TFI meat processing facility, by provision of the new junction on Mannum Road and link road, as well as ensuring the safety for all road users along this section of Mannum Road
- to achieve the requirements for use of road train vehicles (up to 36.5m length) to enhance TFI’s economic competitiveness for transport of goods in the local, interstate and overseas markets
- to maximise the potential for additional development along the new link road.
Planning and design will occur through late 2019 and construction is anticipated to commence in 2020.
If you have any questions, please
- email email@example.com
- telephone 1300 794 880 or
- write to GPO Box 1533, Adelaide SA 5001.