- Main South Road Upgrade - Old Coach Road To Malpas Road
- Darlington Transport Study
- McLaren Vale Overpass
- North-south Corridor
- Northern Connector
- South Road Superway
- Southern Expressway Duplication
- Road Management Plans
- Southern Expressway
- Adelaide to Melbourne Road Corridor
- Main North Road Realignment via Anama Lane
- Main North Road/ Tiver Road/ Gordon Road Intersection Upgrade
- Gawler East Link Road Project
- Main South Road RMP
- Main South Road Duplication
- North East Road and Sudholz Road Safety Improvements
- Greenhill Road Median Safety Improvements
- Penola Northern Bypass Project
- Fullarton Road Upgrade – Magill Road to Beulah Road
- Park Tce/Fitzroy Tce/Torrens Rd Upgrade
- Transverse Line Marking - Cudlee Creek
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Humbug Scrub Roundabout
- Main North Road Median Upgrade - George McCullum Road and Curtis Road
- Onkaparinga Valley Road / Woodside Road Roundabout
- Regional Road Projects
- South Eastern Freeway - Managed Motorway Measures
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- Lobethal Freight Access Upgrade
- Blackwood Roundabout Upgrade Project
- Marion Road Planning Study
- Hahndorf Traffic Study
- Streets for People: Hart Street
- Fosters Road Painted Median Scheme
- Port Road, Queenstown bike lanes
- Greenhill Road and Portrush Road intersection safety upgrade
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Regional Bridges Project
- Main North Road/Dalkeith Road Intersection Upgrade
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Signalisation of Bridge Road and Maxwell Road, Pooraka
- Regency Road and Churchill Road, Prospect, Intersection Upgrade
- O.G. Road and Payneham Road Junction Upgrade
- Findon Road Painted Median Scheme
- Fullarton Road and Cross Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Arthur Road
- Glen Osmond and Fullarton Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road Duplication
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Main South Road, Candy Road and Lander Road Intersection Upgrade
- Kroemer Crossing Upgrade
- O G Road and Turner Street Junction Upgrade
- Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study
- Port Road, West Lakes Boulevard and Cheltenham Parade intersection upgrade
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- Gawler Street Pedestrian Crossing, Nuriootpa
- Torrens Street and Crozier Road Roundabout
- Thomas Foods International access
- Blythewood Road Pedestrian Crossing and Painted Median Project
- Birkenhead Bridge
- Naracoorte Roundabout Upgrades
- North East Road & South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Park Terrace, Robe Terrace, Walkerville Terrace and Mann Road Intersection Upgrade
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- Safety Upgrades on Eight Country Roads
Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
The Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication Project, is a joint initiative of the Australian and South Australian Governments.
Port Wakefield Road typically carries 8,800 vehicles per day, however, this can increase to around 16,000 during holiday peak periods. As a result of high holiday traffic volumes and conflicting traffic movements at the intersection with the Copper Coast Highway, lengthy queues have been experienced causing substantial delays. The Augusta Highway and Copper Coast Highway intersection north of Port Wakefield is one of the State’s busiest regional road intersections being a national and regional link between Adelaide, Port Augusta and the Yorke Peninsula.
The project will improve traffic flow and reduce congestion for all road users, particularly during peak travel times and public holidays, and improve safety and freight productivity along the National Land Transport Network.
A Concept Design was released in August 2018. On 28 January 2019, the South Australian Government announced new design options were being considered, which has resulted in an updated Concept Design, announced in November 2019, taking into account feedback from stakeholders.
The updated Concept Design includes:
- two lanes in each direction through the Port Wakefield township with provisions for safe U-turn movements;
- a realigned dual carriageway through the Port Wakefield township, allowing for increased parking and landscaping opportunities, as well as safer vehicle and pedestrian movements. This will make it safer to build and reduce disruption to motorists during construction;
- a realigned Balaklava Road intersection with the Port Wakefield Highway, allowing for safer turn movements;
- new bridges across the Wakefield River;
- a new two-lane overpass for traffic travelling southbound from the Copper Coast Highway to Port Wakefield, and for traffic travelling along the Augusta Highway to the Copper Coast Highway; and
- the new overpass will remove all hazardous at-grade turn movements at the intersection of the Port Wakefield Highway, Copper Coast Highway and Augusta Highway.
Community Information Session
The Port Wakefield to Port Augusta Alliance project team is holding a Community Information Session
Where: Eagles Sports & Community Centre (football oval), Drake Crescent, Port Wakefield
When: Thursday, 13 August, from 3pm – 7pm.
You are invited to meet members of the project team and discuss the project, see the latest Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication concept design, provide feedback and find out how you can get involved.
All members of the public are welcome. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to attend.
To ensure COVID-19 physical distancing requirements are met, attendees must register prior to attending the Information Session.
To register please email: email@example.com or phone: 1300 161 407.
The Port Wakefield to Port Augusta Alliance (PW2PA) a consortium of CPB Contractors Pty Ltd, Aurecon Pty Ltd and GHD Pty Ltd, and DPTI continue to work on the Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication and Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication projects, with design works progressing.
A dedicated PW2PA website is being created to provide up-to-date information on the design, construction activities and the progress of works for both projects. The website will also have information for individuals seeking employment and for businesses wanting to register an interest in the projects. Community members will also be able to contact the project team via an Alliance specific enquiries phone line and email address. These details will be publicised when they are available, which is expected in June 2020.
In the meantime, for all project related enquiries please continue to call DPTI on 1300 794 880 or email DPTI.CommunityRelations@sa.gov.au.
DPTI COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible.
We encourage the community to register for email updates.
The Australian and South Australian Governments have announced the successful tenderer for the major works contract to form the Port Wakefield to Port Augusta Alliance.
A consortium of CPB Contractors Pty Ltd, Aurecon Pty Ltd and GHD Pty Ltd will design and construct the Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication and Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication works.
Local South Australian company, McMahon Services has been given the opportunity to deliver key aspects of these important works under this Alliance which shows the commitment to local and small to medium enterprises to be part of the Alliance.
Project Time Frames
Major construction for the project is expected to commence in the second half of 2020, with completion expected in 2022, weather permitting.
For information on the Port Wakefield Overpass & Highway Duplication Project please contact:
P: 1300 794 880
Written correspondence can be directed to:
Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication Project
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
GPO Box 1533
Adelaide SA 5001