Newton Road and Graves Street junction improvements
The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) will be improving road safety and traffic flow in the area with a number of treatments including installing traffic signals at the intersection of Newton Road and Graves Street, Newton.
The safety improvements will include:
- Installation of traffic signals
- Installation of a separate left turn and right turn lane on Graves Street, into Newton Road
- Installation of a new right turn lane on Newton Road, into Graves Street
- Relocation of the existing pedestrian crossing on Newton Road to the south of the junction
- Fully signalised pedestrian crossings at the new traffic signals
- Provision for cyclists, including a dedicated crossing for cyclists heading east, and storage for cyclists to safely turn right or head west from Graves Street with the traffic signals.
As part of this project Bus Stop 37 will be relocated approximately 200 metres east on Graves Street, Bus Stop 36 will be removed and Bus Stop 35 will remain in its current location.
These improvements will reduce the risk of crashes and provide safer vehicle movements at the junction. Safety for pedestrians and cyclists will be improved by provision of crossings at the signals.
View a concept plan here.
View a locality map here.
Community Information Sessions
We invite you to drop in to a Community Information Session to meet the projec tem and ask any questions you might have.
Thursday 22 August: anytime between 6pm-8pm
Friday 23 August: anytime between 12pm-2pm
Campbelltown Library, 171 Montacue Road, Newton
Early works, including the relocation of existing services, commenced on Monday, 15 July. Main construction is scheduled to start in October and is expected to be complete by early 2020, weather permitting. Works will be undertaken as day and night works, however there will be no construction on public holidays.
Some works will be undertaken at night to:
- ensure the safety of road users, pedestrians and construction workers
- minimise impacts to traffic during the day
- complete the works as quickly and safely as possible
Day works will occur between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday each week. Night works will occur between the hours of 7pm and 6am, from Sunday evening to Friday morning each week.
All roads will remain open to traffic, with a 25km/h speed restriction in place while workers are on-site. Lane and other speed restrictions may apply subject to onsite conditions. Motorists are advised to take care when driving through the area. DPTI will ensure that access to properties will be maintained.
This $3.4 million project has been funded by the South Australian Government to deliver an election commitment.
Should you require further information, please email DPTI at email@example.com/au or telephone 1300 794 880