- Darlington Transport Study
- North-south Corridor
- Northern Connector
- Road Management Plans
- Gawler East Link Road Project
- Main South Road Duplication
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Cross Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Glen Osmond Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road Duplication
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- Thomas Foods International access
- Birkenhead Bridge
- Park Terrace, Robe Terrace, Walkerville Terrace and Mann Road Intersection Upgrade
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- Safety Upgrades on Eight Country Roads
- Stebonheath and Womma Roads Intersection Upgrade
- North East Road and South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Gorge Road and Silkes Road Junction Upgrade
- South Eastern Freeway Pavement Rehabilitation: Crafers to Tollgate
- Stephen Terrace and Ninth Avenue
Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
About the project
The Australian and South Australian Governments have committed $13 million in joint funding to upgrade the Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection.
Main North Road is a major traffic and freight route that connects the northern parts of metropolitan Adelaide with Adelaide’s Central Business District. The current intersection is operating at capacity in peak periods, with signal phasing and traffic lanes fully utilised, creating congestion.
On average, more than 81 550 vehicles travel through the intersection each day. Increased development in the immediate vicinity will further increase the use of the intersection.
There have been 77 crashes in the past five years, including 26 casualty crashes.
The Department for Infrastructure and Transport will be upgrading the intersection to improve safety and travel time for motorists.
Early works expected to commence in the third quarter of 2020, with major construction expected to commence in late 2020.
The current proposed treatments for the intersection upgrade include:
- widening of Main North Road, with the installation of an additional right turn lane into McIntyre Road, and three through lanes heading north on Main North Road;
- installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between Freda Thompson Place and Kings Road (north-east bound);
- installation of additional through lane on Main North Road between McIntyre Road and Kesters Road (south-west bound);
- extension of dual right turn lanes heading north-east from McIntyre Road onto Main North Road Road;
- separation of left turn traffic from Main North Road onto Kings Road and left turn traffic from Kings Road onto Lawrence Hargrave Way;
- new and upgraded pedestrian ramps and footpaths around the intersection;
- dedicated bicycle lanes on both approaches of Main North Road; and
- new and upgraded traffic signals, road lighting, line marking, and drainage.
*Click on the image above to download a copy of the draft concept design [1.98 MB]*
DIT COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible.
We encourage the community to register for email updates.
Community and stakeholder consultation
Community and stakeholder consultation is important for the successful delivery of this project. As part of the project’s early concept design and review process, DIT invited the community to provide their feedback on the proposed design of the intersection upgrade. This consultation concluded on 20 March.
All feedback received from the community is being reviewed and considered by the project team.
Receiving feedback from the community is important and will continue to help inform the development of the design.
Early site works
Early works are expected to commence in the third quarter of 2020, with major construction expected to commence in late January 2021, weather permitting.
Works for the project will commence late January 2021
In order to minimise the impact to road users works will be undertaken at night along Main North Road. This will include the installation of:
Night works to install traffic signal conduits will be undertaken on the below dates and times on both Main North Road and Kings Road, on the southern corner of the intersection:
- Each night from Monday, 15 February 2021 – Friday, 19 February 2021, between 7pm and 6am.
- Each night from Sunday, 21 February 2021– Tuesday, 23 February 2021, between 7pm and 6am
The works are being undertaken at night to minimise the impact to road users and ensure they can be completed safely and efficiently.
For further information please download the latest notification.
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in receiving project updates, please: