Gawler East Link Road and Tulloch Road Intersection Upgrade
In the 2015-16 Budget, the State Government announced $55 million for the construction of the Gawler East Link Road (GELR) Project.
The Gawler East Link Road (GELR) Project will support planned residential expansion/growth in the Gawler East Development Area as identified in the 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide, the Gawler Growth Areas Transport Framework 2009 and the Town of Gawler Development Plan.
The project will provide flexibility for future growth of population, as well as allow full development of Gawler East. It will support economic activity in Gawler and enhance connectivity between current and future developments, commercial and school precincts, and create approximately 110 local construction employment opportunities through the life of the project in line with SA’s Industry Participation Policy.
The benefits of the GELR will include:
- direct access for commuters to Main North Road without needing to travel through the Gawler Town Centre;
- reduction in congestion and travel times on the local road network;
- less likelihood of crashes in the Gawler Township;
- reduction of vehicle emissions caused by travel delays;
- creates access for potential future extensions off the link road.
The state government has provided $7.5 million in funding to upgrade the Main North Road, Tulloch Road and Morrow Avenue intersection, including duplication of Main North Road on approach and through the intersection. The intersection upgrade includes:
- upgrade of the Main North Road intersection with Tulloch Road and Morrow Avenue, including duplication of Main North Road on approach and through the intersection;
- installation of traffic signals at the Main North Road / Tulloch Road / Morrow Avenue intersection including pedestrian crossings across all three roads;
- construction of a new dedicated left turn lane from Main North Road into Tulloch Road;
- construction of a new through lane from Tulloch Road into Morrow Avenue;
- construction of new bicycle lanes on Main North Road through the intersection with Morrow Avenue and Tulloch Road;
- construction and upgrade of existing footpaths;
- upgrade of the Tulloch Road junction with Barnet Road. Barnet Road is also being changed to a cul-de-sac, at the junction of Barnet Road and Para Road, as part of the Gawler East Link Road Project; and
- installation of LED road lighting to save energy and improve night time visibility.
Click here to view project plans.
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project, please contact the project team:
Phone: 1300 282 939
To register to receive project information and updates, complete the online feedback form here and check the Latest News & Publications page regularly.