- North-South Corridor
- Road Management Plans
- Strzelecki Track Upgrade and Sealing Project
- Goodwood, Springbank and Daws Road Intersection Upgrade
- 'Hahndorf Township Strategic Traffic Planning Study' and 'Hahndorf Township Improvements and Access Upgrade Project'
- Port Wakefield Overpass and Highway Duplication
- Joy Baluch AM Bridge Duplication
- Flagstaff Road Upgrade
- Golden Grove Road Upgrade
- Cross Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- Portrush and Magill Road Intersection Upgrade
- Glen Osmond Road and Fullarton Road Intersection Upgrade
- State-Wide Road Improvement and Renewal Works
- Modernising Road Maintenance
- Main North Road and Nottage Terrace Intersection Upgrade
- Main North Road, Kings and McIntyre Roads Intersection Upgrade
- Grand Junction, Hampstead and Briens Road Intersection Upgrade
- Mitcham Hills Road Corridor Upgrade
- Adelaide Hills Intersections Upgrade Initiative
- South Australian Rural Roads Safety Package
- South Eastern Freeway Pavement Rehabilitation: Tollgate to Crafers
- South Australian Rural Highway Corridor Upgrades
- North East Road and South Para Road Junction Upgrade
- Gorge Road and Silkes Road Junction Upgrade
- Nairne Intersection Upgrade
- Fleurieu Connections
- Angle Vale Riverbanks College Junction Upgrades
- Aldinga Payinthi College Intersection Upgrade
- Transport Network Planning Studies Program
- Marion Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive Intersection Upgrade
- Sturt Highway Corridor Upgrade
- Salisbury Highway Asphalt Resurfacing Works
- Regional North-South Freight Route Upgrade
- Truro Bypass Project
- Port Road between Grand Junction Road and Earle Avenue, Cheltenham
- Horrocks Highway Upgrades
- APY Lands Main Access Road Upgrade
The Australian and South Australian governments have committed a total of $560 million to fund the Fleurieu Connections Main South Road and Victor Harbor Road duplication projects, to be delivered by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport (the Department). These projects will result in safer and faster journeys for motorists and provide a vital boost for local tourism, communities and support hundreds of jobs each year during construction.
Following extensive consultation, traffic modelling and technical analysis, the State Government has endorsed the final design solutions, being:
Main South Road
Duplication of Main South Road, from Seaford to Aldinga, including a grade separation (overpass) at the intersection of Tatachilla Road and Maslin Beach Road, a grade separation at the intersection of Port Road and a dual lane roundabout at the Main South Road and Aldinga Road junction.
Upgrade of Main South Road, from Aldinga to Sellicks Beach, with a ‘2+1’ lane road layout and associated road treatments that address safety issues and future capacity of Main South Road. A ‘2+1’ lane road layout consists of two lanes in one direction and one lane in the other, alternating every few kilometres.
Further design work will be undertaken over the coming months to develop the design for Stage 2. There will be an opportunity for community to provide input once the design has been developed.
New grade separation at Main South Road, Tatachilla Road and Maslin Beach Road
Victor Harbor Road
Victor Harbor Road, between Main South Road and the McLaren Vale turn off, will be duplicated with additional safety treatments along Victor Harbor Road (including an overtaking lane at Hindmarsh Valley).
In addition, a planning study to investigate the preferred solution for Victor Harbor Road between Main Road, McLaren Vale and Tatachilla Road and to Willunga Hill will be undertaken.
Duplication of Victor Harbor Road (between Main South Road and the McLaren Vale turn off)
Summary of community and stakeholder feedback received
We would like to thank the community and interested stakeholders who have engaged with us to date about these important projects. Around 130 people attended the Community Information Sessions held in late April 2021, and nearly 900 survey responses were received. We also met individually with a number of stakeholders and received direct feedback to the Department.
Common themes raised during the consultation the concept designs, between March and May 2021, included:
- a strong level of support for duplication of Main South Road, between Seaford and Aldinga, and for a grade separation at the intersection with Tatachilla Road;
- considerable feedback about the functioning of the current single lane roundabout at Port Road and Main South Road and requests for it to be replaced with a grade separation;
- mixed views on the duplication between Aldinga and Sellicks Beach. Common feedback at the Community Information Sessions was that duplication south of Aldinga wasn’t critical and may negatively impact the character of the area. Other treatments to improve the safety of the area were however important. The undulating nature of Main South Road, particularly north of Norman Road, was also consistently raised;
- the importance of minimising the impact to vegetation;
- the importance of east-west connections being maintained, particularly for emergency services, agriculture machinery, pedestrians and cyclists; and
- the importance of minimising disruption during construction.
Click to view and download the Main South Road Duplication documents and media
Next Steps and Project Timeframe
Works are planned to commence in late 2021 and be completed in 2024. Prior to this, site investigation activities, and further engagement with the community, will continue to be carried out to inform the detailed design.
DIT COVID-19 Response
The Department will continue to tailor community engagement opportunities in line with the latest COVID-19 advice from health authorities.
Face-to-face engagement opportunities may be restricted and we will continue to be guided by the advice of health authorities, with the health and safety of our stakeholders always our highest priority.
Engagement with community and industry is crucial and we will facilitate information sessions as much as possible to enable face to face engagement. It is important to assist in managing these events that you register as requested to enable physical distancing as much as possible
If you have any further enquiries or would like to register your interest in the project to receive updates, please: