Northern Connector Project
The $885 million Northern Connector will be a six-lane, 15.5 kilometre motorway providing a vital freight and commuter link between the Northern Expressway, South Road Superway and Port River Expressway.
This project will focus on delivering economic benefits to the local South Australian community including creating 480 full-time equivalent jobs each year during construction.
- At least 50% of all jobs to be filled by northern suburbs residents.
- At least 90% of on-site labour hours to be undertaken by South Australians.
- At least 20% of all on-site labour hours to be undertaken by ex-automotive industry workers, Aboriginal people, people facing barriers to employment and trainees and apprentices.
The Australian Government has committed $708 million to the project, with $177 million from the South Australian Government.
The motorway is scheduled to be open to traffic in early March 2020.
Port Wakefield Road and Northern Expressway - closures and detours
From 8pm Sunday 16 February the Northern Expressway on-ramp from Port Wakefield Road (Northbound) will be closed and not reinstated. Access will be maintained via detours (Click here for more information)
Night works will be undertaken on Port Wakefield Road (southbound only) and Northern Expressway (southbound only) for the final stages of the Northern Interchange. The works will be undertaken from Sunday 23 February, until Friday 28 February, with detours in place. (Click here for more information)
Superway off-ramp to Salisbury Highway closure and detour - night works
From Wednesday 19 February, to Tuesday 25 February, night works will be undertaken on the South Road Superway in separate stages as part of the final works for the Southern Interchange.
- 8pm Wednesday 19 February, until 5am Thursday 20 February,
- 8pm Thursday 20 February, until 5am Friday 21 February,
- 8pm Friday 21 February, until 7am Saturday 22 February,
- 7pm Sunday 23 February, until 5am Monday 24 February, and
- 8pm Monday 24 February, until 5am Tuesday 25 February.
Detours will be in place via the Hanson Road overpass. (Click here for a map)
Port Wakefield and Hodgson Roads junction - new traffic lights
From 5am, Friday 14 February, new traffic lights with new line markings will be operational at the junction of Port Wakefield and Hodgson Roads to provide safe access from the Northern Connector.
A dedicated ‘Employment Development Team’ has been established to work closely with the Northern Connector Jobs Taskforce to maximise opportunities for local workers.
Please visit www.northhub.sa.gov.au for more information.