Workforce Participation in Government Construction Procurement
The South Australian Government is committed to ensuring its procurement decisions support state and national efforts to increase workforce participation, skill development and social inclusion through employment of Aboriginal people, trainees and apprentices, local people with barriers to employment and up-skilling on building and civil construction works throughout the state.
The policy requires government agencies and contractors to work together to ensure that 15% of labour hours on specified contracts for building and civil works is undertaken by apprentices, trainees, Aboriginal people, local people with barriers to employment and for up-skilling (“the target groups”).
In summary the policy requires government agencies to:
- inform tenderers and contractors for building and civil works over the relevant thresholds of the requirement to allocate 15% of labour hours to the employment and/or up-skilling of target groups;
- place information about the policy in all tender documentation and a binding set of WPGCP clauses in the contract documentation, for contracts covered by the policy;
- monitor contractor performance against the 15% target; and assist contractors if non-compliance becomes evident.
The policy requires contractors to:
- agree to meet the 15% target within the relevant tiers;
- provide a Workforce Participation and Skills Development Plan (Tier 1) or Strategy (Tier 2);
- provide information on the number of hours worked on-site by workers from the target groups at quarterly intervals throughout the contract and on completion of the contract; and nominate a person responsible for the coordination of employment and training required under this policy in the case of Tier 2 contracts.
Reporting Requirement for Contractors (disambiguation):
Please note that the Workforce Participation Reporting System (WPRS), has substituted the previous reporting mechanisms referenced in the policy and the implementation guidelines. Once an eligible contract is awarded, DPTI Contracting and Strategic Sourcing Section will set up the contractor in WPRS using contact details of the contractor's nominated staff; following registration, the nominated staff will receive log-in details to enter the system and provide the information as relevant.
To contact us:
For Civil construction
please call: 8343 2679
For building construction please call: 8226 5200
Links and Documents
- Department of State Development
- Workforce Participation in Government Construction Procurement Policy (65 KB PDF)
- Workforce Participation in Government Construction Procurement Implementation Guidelines (162 KB PDF)
- Quarterly Reporting Tool - Workforce Participation Reporting System (WPRS)
- TIER 1 - FILL IN ONLINE: Workforce participation and Skills Development Plan
- TIER 2 - FILL IN ONLINE: Workforce participation and Skills Development Plan