Buckle up this Easter

27 Mar 2013

Road Safety Minister Michael O’Brien is urging families to buckle up before getting behind the wheel this Easter long weekend.
Figures from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) show one in three vehicle occupants killed in car crashes on South Australian roads last year weren’t wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
“By taking the time to buckle up and ensuring other passengers, particularly children, are wearing their seatbelts, you double the change of surviving a serious crash,” Mr O’Brien said.
“Seatbelts are there to save lives and it only takes seconds to put it on.
“This simple act could mean the difference between a family spending Easter celebrating or mourning the death of a loved one.”
SAPOL will be using all its available resources this Easter long weekend for Operation Crossroads, which begins tomorrow and continues until Monday, 1 April.
During the operation there will be a highly visible police presence with officers undertaking speed detection, static and mobile random driver testing.
On the spot fines will be issued for failing to wear seatbelts, as well as speeding, drink and drug driving and driver inattention.
Motorists can expect extra police along the Sturt Highway monitoring drivers travelling through the Riverland and interstate. Unmarked police cars and police motorcycles will also be out in force.
Mr O’Brien said in the last five years, there have been six fatalities and 90 serious injuries during the Easter long weekend.
“Behind these statistics are families whose Easter will never be the same,” Mr O’Brien said.
“I urge motorists to plan their journeys, be patient and rest every two hours.

Latest news

64x64

New safety strategy for railway crossings

64x64

Road safety for international visitors

News archive

Road safety works

64x64

Safety to be improved on Murray Bridge, Mallee and Riverland roads

64x64

Works commence on Stage 2 safety upgrade of Bute to Kulpara Road

Road safety works archive