The Competency Based Training and Assessment
(CBT&A) course is one of two ways you can qualify for a P1 provisional licence.
The other option is the Vehicle On Road Test (VORT).
If you choose the CBT&A method you have to:
The CBT&A course will give you training in a
wide variety of driving situations. Your instructor will assess:
- your knowledge of how to operate your car
- your ability to complete some slow speed moves like parking
- your ability to drive in busy traffic and at higher speeds
- your observation skills
- your ability to deal with hazards
- your attitude to driving and to other road users.
The CBT&A method allows you to learn at your
own pace without a test deadline. You will be assessed as each task is
For more information about the CBT&A method to to page 114 of The Driver's Handbook.