Renewing or Revalidating your Certificate of Competency
Revalidation and renewal are a way of ensuring that you are still fit and competent to operate safely in South Australian waters and continue to be throughout your career.
Revalidation requires you to show you are medically fit and have maintained skills in the industry by providing relevant sea service. If you don't have current sea service you can sit for an oral exam.
Renewal does not involve providing evidence of sea service but you still need to provide information such as a medical certificate to ensure you are still fit.
Revalidation applies to the following Certificates of Competency:
- Master Class 4 and Skipper Grade 2
- Master Class 4 River Murray & Inland Waters
- Mate Class 4
Master Class 3 and Skipper Grade 1
- Marine Engine Driver Grade 1
- Engineer Class 3
Certificates of Competency are issued for 5 years and can be revalidated at any time in the 12 months before it expires or at any time after it has expired.
You will need to pay the appropriate fee and complete the forms on the form page.
You will also need to:
- Be able to prove 12 months (240 days) of sea service within the last 5 years.
- As a seasonal fisher, be able to prove continuous employment each fishing season in the last 5 years.
- Prove that you have satisfactorily completed a revalidation course appropriate to the Certificates of Competency held immediately preceding the date that you apply.
- Prove that, in the last 6 months you have served for at least 3 months (90 days)as an understudy to a qualified person, while performing duties appropriate to the Certificate of Competency held.
- Pass an oral exam.
- Provide a copy of a current Senior First Aid Certificate. We will not accept expired certificates.
Renewal applies to the following Certificates of Competency:
- Coxswain River Murray & Inland Waters
- Coxswain Restricted
- Master Class 5/ Skipper Grade 3
- Master Class 5 River Murray & Inland Waters
- Marine Engine Driver Grade 3
- Marine Engine Driver Grade 2
Certificates are issued for 5 years and can be renewed at any time in the 12 months before it expires or at any time after it has expired.
You need to pay the appropriate fee, complete the forms on the forms page.
No sea service is required for renewal.