Master Class 5 - River Murray and Inland Waters, Deck Certificate of Competency
- What your certificate will qualify you for
- Sea Service
- The paperwork and payment
- What you need to renew
To be eligible for this Certificate of Competency you must be at least 19 years old.
Your Certificate of Competency will expire after 5 years. It is up to you to renew it.
You need the following amount of sea service which will depend on the Certificate of Competency you already hold.
- For holders of a Coxswain River Murray and Inland Waters Certificate of Competency must provide 6 months (120 days) sea service in the last 5 years on vessels less than 80 metres in length.
- For the holder of an open Coxswain Certificate of Competency or an open Master Class 5 Certificate of Competency must provide 3 months (60 days) sea service in the last 5 years on the river on vessels less than 80 metres in length.
- For anyone else must provide 12 months (240 days) in the last 5 years documented sea time of which 6 months (180 days) must be on the river on vessels less than 80 metres in length.
You need to provide evidence of this sea service which can be in the form of one of the following:
- A Record of Service book signed by the Master, Owner or Agent of the vessel.
- A testimonial from the Master or owner of the vessel(s) on which the service took place (if possible on company letterhead). This testimonial should clearly indicate the name and registration number of the vessel, rank/duties on board, dates of commencement and completion of service. Any gaps (e.g. sick or annual leave) should be indicated.
- A Statutory Declaration with all the above details.
If this is the first time that you are applying for a Certificate of Competency you will need to complete the forms listed on our forms page.
You can pay on line, in person or you can mail your payment, if paying by mail please do not send cash.
To obtain this Certificate of Competency you need to undertake a training course or provide evidence of training. You will need to contact the training providers to obtain course details. Remember that passing a training course is only part of the process.
Before we issue you with a Certificate of Competency you will need to do the following training and provide evidence of the following. These are normally part of your course but can be undertaken seperately:
- Certificate in Elements of Shipboard Safety or Occupational Health and Safety at Sea.
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate, you will normally undertake this training at the same time as you study for your certificate.
Certificates of Competency are issued for 5 years and can be renewed at any time in the 12 months before it expires or at any time after it has expired.
You need to pay the renewal fee and complete the forms listed on our forms page