Office of the Coordinator-General
State Coordinator-General to drive investment, cut red tape and create jobs
What is the role of the State Coordinator-General?
The Government has expanded the role of the Coordinator-General to help stimulate the South Australian economy. The Coordinator-General–Mr James Hallion, Chief Executive, Department of the Premier and Cabinet–has taken on a new private sector development coordination role to assist proposals with an investment value of over $3 million of economic significance.
The Coordinator-General role is supported by the following changes:
- Changes to the Development Regulations 2008 to enable the Coordinator-General to assign the Development Assessment Commission (DAC) as the planning authority for certain proposals over $3 million.
- Expansion of the DPTI Case Management Service to assist proponents in navigating the planning and development system.
- Establishment of a cross government Task Force that includes senior decision makers from key land use agencies. The Task Force will be used to address any blockages that may be occurring with State Government agencies.
What proposals are eligible?
The Coordinator-General will offer case management to all investment proposals with a construction value of $3 million and above. Some proposals may also be ‘called-in’ for assessment by the Development Assessment Commission where the following requirements are met:
- The proposal exceeds $3 million in value; and
- The State Coordinator-General determines that the development is of economic significance to the state, or would be best assessed under a scheme established by the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (Department).
The Regulation requires the Coordinator-General to advise, in writing, the proponent and relevant council or regional development assessment panel of any determination to call in a proposal. Should a proposal be called in under section 20 of Schedule 10, the relevant council will be provided an opportunity to formally comment.
How many proposals have been referred to the Coordinator-General?
DPTI Case Management Team
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
Level 6, Roma Mitchell House
136 North Terrace, Adelaide
Call: (08) 8303 0760