Way2Go for Schools
- road safety skills and knowledge for students and their families
- review of school travel routes and improvements where required
- less vehicle congestion around schools.
- opportunities for families to increase their daily physical activity by walking or cycling
- awareness of the importance of health and well being of students and their families
- links to council run programs and initiatives with a healthy lifestyles focus e.g. OPAL (Obesity Prevention and Lifestyle).
- alternatives to private car travel for school journeys
- improved air quality and less greenhouse gas emissions around schools
- connections with other environmental school programs such as the Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative – AuSSI-SA.
Way2Go for Councils and Communities
- partnerships between the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure, local councils, schools and their communities to encourage safer, greener and more active travel
- explicit links with councils’ strategic/transport plans and other programs e.g. OPAL (Obesity Prevention and Lifestyle), Get out and get active Sport and Recreation Program
- engineering works mapped out to address the needs of schools and to improve road safety for the community.
Outcomes of Way2Go support several Objectives of South Australia's Strategic Plan.